About Next Generation
Established in 2008, Queensland Ag Shows Next Generation is the Queensland Chamber of Agricultural Societies youth steering committee. The committee is passionate about agricultural shows, local communities and continuing the legacy of these iconic events.
Comprising up to 11 members, the committee aims to strengthen the Queensland shows movement by increasing youth participation within local show societies, creating stronger, sustainable events.
Any member of a local Queensland show between 18 and 35-years-old is automatically a Next Generation member.
Committee members attend their local shows, sub-chamber finals and support the Queensland Ag Shows Board by attending general meetings and assisting with state finals at the Ekka.
To engage, connect, and amplify the voices of young people in the Queensland show movement to ensure its long-term sustainability and prosperity.
Who are we
We are the Queensland Ag Shows youth steering committee. We aim to advocate for and encourage young people within the show movement to celebrate the legacy and protect the vibrant future of local ag shows.
Next Gen is proud to connect and support young people in the Queensland show movement through initiatives and achievements such as:
- In January 2020 we hosted the inaugural Agricultural Shows of Australia Conference, which brought together show societies from across Australia and New Zealand.
- We host the annual Rural Leaders Networking Luncheon at the Ekka to provide a platform for Rural Ambassador and Miss Showgirl state finalists to network amongst themselves and other show leaders, and engage with our committee.
- Since 2016 we have coordinated the annual Queensland Shows Awards , which acknowledge and encourage the outstanding contributions of local show societies and their hardworking members.
- We organise the annual Queensland Ag Shows Gala Dinner, where the QSAs are presented to acknowledge those societies and individuals whose efforts and innovations embody what the agricultural show movement represents.
- We publish the annual Queensland Show Dates calendar, promoting each of the agricultural shows conducted across Queensland each year.
- We organised the biennial Next Gen and Queensland Ag Shows conferences from 2010 to 2018.
- We assist with Queensland Ag Shows State Final competitions and run regional sub-chamber workshops.
- In 2014 we coordinated the 2014 Zimbabwean Exchange.
- We also identify opportunities to promote the Queensland Ag Show movement by attending event such as the Malanda Cattle Camp and various events and shows.
For up-to-date news and information connect with Queensland Ag Shows Next Generation on Facebook, qldshowsnextgen on Instagram or @QCASNextGen on Twitter.
For more information about the Next Generation committee, or how to work with and support Queensland Ag Shows Next Generation, email us at [email protected]