About Next Generation
Established in 2008, Queensland Ag Shows Next Generation is a Sub Committee of the Queensland Chamber of Agricultural Societies. The Next Gen committee is passionate about agricultural shows, our local communities and continuing the legacy of these iconic events.
Next Gen is the youth steering group for Queensland Ag Shows and is comprised of up to 11 committee members. The Committee share an aim to strengthen the Queensland shows movement by increasing youth participation within local show societies; creating stronger, more sustainable agricultural shows into the future.
The Next Gen committee each attend their local shows, Sub Chamber finals and actively support the Queensland Ag Shows Board by attending general meetings and assisting with state finals at the Ekka. Our committee also actively identifies opportunities to strategically support show societies, promote the sharing of resources and the knowledge that is collectively within our organisation.
“TO PROVIDE EDUCATION, TO SHARE BEST PRACTICES, INCREASE MOTIVATION AND ENABLE NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUTH INVOLVED WITHIN THE QUEENSLAND SHOW MOVEMENT, AS WELL AS PROVIDE ASSISTANCE TO THE BROADER QUEENSLAND SHOW ORGANISATION.”
Next Gen has achieved a number of goals and implemented new initiatives in support of our mission statement in recent years which include:
- hosting the Inaugural Agricultural Shows of Australia Conference to be held in January 2020, a partnership with Queensland Ag Shows and Agricultural Shows of Australia (ASA), which will be the first of its kind to bring together show societies from across Australia and New Zealand’
- theQueensland Shows Awards which acknowledge and encourage the excellent achievements of groups, individuals and events in the Queensland Show movement;
- the Queensland Ag Shows Gala Dinner, which celebrates the Queensland show movement and acknowledge those societies and individuals whose tremendous efforts and innovative ideas embody what the agricultural show movement represents;
- publishing the Queensland Show Dates Calendar since 2014 featuring each of the agricultural shows to conducted across Queensland each year;
- hosting the Rural Leaders Networking Luncheon held at the Ekka to providing a networking opportunity between the Next Gen committee, Rural Ambassador and Miss Showgirl state finalists;
- the biennial Next Gen and Queensland Shows Conferences held in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2018;
- assisting with Queensland Ag Shows State Final competitions;
- running regional Sub Chamber workshops;
- the 2014 Zimbabwean Exchange; and
- identifying networking opportunities such as attending the Malanda Cattle Camp and Longreach show to promote the Queensland Ag Show movement.
Next Generation believes strongly in the development of networks and resources for young people to feel connected. To ensure our continued achievements and networking resources are sustained, the Next Generation committee aims to continue the expansion of our membership base through the development of new initiatives which may include regional workshops, social events and educational forums such as the biennial Conference.
Previously Next Generation had an annual membership process and fee; however as Next Generation has developed so have our processes. Now any member of a local show between the ages of 18 and 40 years of age is automatically a Next Gen member. Your show society will be asked questions on its annual return and will be required to send us this information.
To receive information about the events we are running or updates about the Next Gen committee please opt in to our mailing list by emailing your details to [email protected] or subscribing at http://eepurl.com/c5z_U9
For more information about the Next Generation committee, or how to work with and support Queensland Ag Shows Next Generation please email us at [email protected] or contact one of our management committee directly.
Our shows have been celebrating agriculture and industry across Queensland since 1822 and the Next Gen committee exists to see these proud events continue.